Prof. Dr. Hans-Wolfgang Micklitz
Professor for Economic Law at the European University Institute, Florence, Italy
Education and Profession
- 1967 – 1973 Studies of Law and Sociology in Mainz, Lausanne, Genf, Gießen and Hamburg
- 1991 – 1994 Professor at the Berlin School of Economics
- 1995 – 2007 Professor at the University of Bamberg for Private Law, Commercial Law, Company Law and Economic Law
- since 2007 Professor for Economic Law at the European University Institute, Florence/ Italy
- ERC Grant 2011 – 2016 European Regulatory Private Law
- Finish Distinguished Professor, Academy of Science Finland, 2014 – 19
Additional Activities/ Memberships
- Visiting professor at the Universities of Michigan Ann Arbor, Oxford Somerville College, University Helsinki, Centre of Excellence, Finland
- Consultant to the OECD in Paris, UNEP / Nairobi Kenia, CI (Consumers International) The Hague Netherlands / Penang Malaysia, Bureau Européen des Unions de Consommateurs (BEUC) Bruxelles, German and Austrian consumer organisations
- Consultant to the Ministries of Austria, Germany, the United Kingdom, the European Commission, the GIZ (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit)
- Head of the Institute for European Economic and Consumer Law
European and German civil and economic Law, contract and tort law, technical standards and certification, product safety, investor protection, unfair commercial practices, product liability and liability of defective services, regulated markets (telecom, energy, transport, financial services), enforcement and redress, legal theory
- Micklitz/ Reich: Europäisches Verbraucherrecht, 4. Auflage (2003).
- Karanikic/ Micklitz/ Reich: Modernising Consumer Law (2012).
- Micklitz: Do Consumers and Business need a New Architecture for Consumer Law? A Thought Provoking Impulse, Yearbook of European Law, München (2012).
- Micklitz/ Reich/ Rott/ Tonner: European Consumer Law, 2nd (2014).